1,000 children of slain soldiers get scholarships

0
842

Nineteen officers of the Nigerian military who were wounded during the fight against the Boko Haram insurgents have been successfully treated abroad, the Nigerian Army has said.

During its monthly press briefing in Abuja, Wednesday, the Nigerian Army also said that 1,000 children and dependents of slain army officers have been awarded scholarships.
The Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, said the provision of adequate medical services contributes to the physical and mental capacity of troops in battle.
“To this end, our troops in the theatre of operations in the North East have continued to enjoy adequate medical care,” said Mr. Usman, a Colonel.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Nigerian Army casualty evacuation procedure starts from the collection point within the unit where casualty receive first aid from their comrades and where necessary casualties are then moved to the Medical Reception Station (MRS) and Divisional Hospitals for further treatment.
“Exceptional cases are however referred and evacuated by air to Reference Hospitals. In case the Reference Hospital cannot manage the injury, such officer/soldier is evacuated abroad where adequate medical treatment will be administered.
“So far, a total of 19 officers and soldiers have been successfully treated abroad.
“For effective monitoring of wounded soldiers evacuated to 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital Kaduna, the COAS has directed the Chief of Administration (Army) to visit the hospital fortnightly in order to ensure adequate medical care/treatment is given to the wounded officers/soldiers on admission.”
Mr. Usman said that the Nigerian Army had commenced payment of scholarship entitlements to children and dependants of all deceased personnel who died in active service.
“The payment which started in February 2015, is scheduled for completion at the end of March 2015,” he said.
“For ease of administration and convenience, the beneficiaries are grouped into 20 batches of 50 each. The payment is based on approved criteria for sponsorship of eligible children of deceased personnel by the Nigerian Army.”
The Army also issued a disclaimer on a Facebook account allegedly operated with the name “Kenneth Tobia Minimah”, the Chief of Army Staff.
The Army said it believed the account was operated by one Emmanuel Monday who had been using Mr. Minimah’s name to dupe unsuspecting members of the public.
“Please be informed that the COAS does not operate any Facebook account or any of the social media for that matter. The general public is hereby advised to desist from transacting business or sending money to the impostor. Anybody who transacts business with the impostor does so at his/her own risk.”

Leave a Reply