By JERRYWRIGHT UKWU
Research once conducted attested to Nigerians being the happiest people on earth. But that research failed to affirm that Nigerians are perhaps the funniest people on earth too. This compilation of reasons given by couples in court during their divorce cases will make you agree. The reasons are extremely funny, weird and almost unbelievable. Read below as compiled by Nigeria’s Encomium Magazine:
- Adelani Makinde: A 32-year-old businessman filed for divorce just hours after his expensive wedding. Adelani discovered that his bride, Kemi, had been wearing what is known as a butt pad to augment the size of her rear. Adelani told an Ikeja High Court that his wife’s yansh is as flat as an ironing board. “I discovered that on our wedding night. I prefer a woman whose rear is big.”
- Oluwakele Ogundele: Divorced her husband because he often defecated in their cooking pots after getting drunk. She told Agege Customary Court (Lagos) that her husband, Oluwafemi gets drunk every weekend. According to her, she can no longer cope with the 10-year marriage.
3.Emmanuel Asala: The 55-year-old told Ikare Akoko Customary Court (Ondo) to dissolve his marriage to Busayo because she did not bring kitchen utensils from her father’s house. “How will a woman get married without a grinding stone, tablespoons, mortar, pestle, deep freezer and even serving plates? She did not bring any of these to my house. I don’t think I can continue with the marriage.” These were the words Emmanuel uttered in court. He even prayed the court should order Busayo to return all the things he listed because he bought them with his money.
- Adetire Adebola: A 40-year-old carpenter told an Ikeja high court (Lagos) to dissolve his marriage of five years because his in-law often intervened when he is beating his wife. “She is a stubborn woman. They don’t want me to teach her a lesson. I don’t like it when her people stop me from beating her. It is either they take their daughter or allow me put sense into her head”, was what Adebola told the court during the proceedings.
- Soji Ibrahim: A 35-year-old trader ended his marriage of two months to Rashidat because she has small boobs. “It was her boobs that attracted her to me. I met her when she came to buy pepper from me. I couldn’t take my eyes off her big boobs”. Ibrahim was shocked to discover his wife had been using artificial boobs after getting married to her. “Her boobs are small as Agbalumo (cherry)”, he said. “I detest those small size boobs. It is better to end the marriage”.
- Ejembi Tony and Rachael: They ended their five year marriage because of shoe odour. Rachel filed for divorce at an Igando Grade II court (Lagos) because her husband’s shoes smell a lot. After enduring and seeking solutions to the problem, Rachael opted out of the union that produced three kids.
- Aderibigbe Allen and Sandra: Their marriage of one year hit the rocks after Allen filed for divorce in Oluyole Customary Court (Oyo) because he was tired of sharing house chores. “We agreed on how to do the house chores but I am tired of washing unending plates piled up in the kitchen. I regret marrying her and agreeing to share house chores. She is just too lazy”.
- Merit Adams: A 29-year-old entrepreneur decided to end her marriage after stumbling on her husband, Alex’s Facebook page. According to her, Alex wrote that he is single on his Facebook page. So she wants to grant him his wish.
- Toyin Adisa: A 32-year-old man was divorced on the grounds that he wouldn’t watch football matches again. His wife, Adijat said she had been given a black eye twice because his team lost in a football match. She prayed the Agege (Lagos) court to dissolve the marriage because of this habit.
- Adebisi Jadesimi: divorced her husband of two years because he is fond of wearing female undergarments, especially pants. “It is unbelievable that we share pants. He wouldn’t wear boxers even if you threaten to kill him, he prefers female pants. How would a man be wearing woman’s pants”, she narrated her ordeal to Alakuko Customary Court (Lagos).
Meanwhile, an unverified report last week claimed that the General Overseer of Christ Embassy Church, Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, and his estranged wife, Anita Oyakhilome, have settled their differences.